March 22, 2010
I added some new links to the previous post. I will attempt to add more as the day (maybe week) progresses.
March 21, 2010
When you buy a house near the holidays, there's tons of stuff to do and no time to do it. So, here's a list of stuff (roughly chronological) that has occurred since my last post...
- Replaced the old water heater.
- Replaced the locks.
- Replaced the toilets
- Hung blackout curtains in the master bedroom
- Bought a new vaccuum cleaner
- Hung pictures on the wall (wedding, etc)
- Painted post by front door, painted decorative post over the garage, painted decorative post next to the front window (all Mrs. splorp!'s handywork)
- Bought a new washer and dryer
- Had to fly back to Ohio for a short visit (my grandmother passed away)
- Hosted Christmas dinner for Mrs. splorp's parents, sister, 2 aunts and her cousin (with his wife and 4 kids)
- Replaced a gate latch and hung a shower rod with attached towel bar (all showers seem to be made for people under 5' 10")
- Patched small bad section on the roof (ye olde father in law did that for us)
- Caulked around the windows (Mrs. splorp and her dad did that while I was at work
- Got rid of the jungle gym/swingset (Mrs. splorp!'s old boss came by on a Saturday and took it apart and hauled it away (he has kids)
- Put up floating shelves in the computer room
- Bought a kitchen island from Ikea (and, of course, had to put it together)
- Hung 36" Samsung Touch of Color TV on the wall in the computer room
- Bought a cool ottoman that holds all my Rock Band guitars and drums
- Bought a TV credenza/entertainment center thingy
- Bought a dog (D'Artagnan , Dart for short)
- Bought a kiddie gate to keep the dog in the kitchen, as well as his bed and numerous toys
- Ripped out disgusting cat-scented carpet beneath the kitchen cabinet a previous owner had installed on top of said carpet (Mrs. splorp! handled much of it)
- Ripped out shelf from kitchen cabinet and installed retractable trash can (for recycling)
- Bought huge plastic composting thingy
- Installed ceiling fan in the master bedroom with the assistance of the generous (with his time and knowledge) father in law, Dave
- Bought 3 trees - orange, nectarine and a mutant apple tree (5 branches, each with their own separarate variety)
- Installed an exhaust fan in both the master bathroom (with a light) and the hall bathroom (replaced the jet-engine sounding one)
- Drilled hole in kitchen beneath phone to pull electric cord through to prevent Dart from chewing that up (he already killed a lamp and extension cord)
- Set up planter box in the backyard
- Installed fencing in the backyard because Dart likes to: eat trees and dig in the planter. Also enclosed the orange tree (it's separate from the other two trees) with the same type of fencing
I'll be providing pictures of a lot of this stuff in the near future. Like, maybe tomorrow.
Below is Harley Quinn, our Green-Cheeked ConureHarley Quinn in November 2005
To the left, you’ll see Drusilla,
the Vampire Parakeet, named after
a character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
because she bit like a vampire.
She passed away on 12/20/04.